Sunday, January 2, 2011

Hunt for guard linked to abuse of 2 toddlers


SHAH ALAM: Police are still looking for a security guard, who is believed to have abused his girlfriend's daughters, at their rented flat in Taman Sri Muda here on Wednesday.

The 28-year-old security guard is believed to have gone into hiding after his girlfriend, T. Vijayaletchmy, 21, lodged a police report against him at the Section 15 police station on Friday for injuring her daughters, Nishalini Sere, 2, and Harini, 1.

It is learnt that the security guard lost his temper and hit the two toddlers with his hands because they were crying and would not speak to him.

In the 4pm incident on Wednesday, the security guard allegedly also tied up the toddlers' wrists before he slapped and punched them.

Shah Alam police chief Assistant Commissioner Zahedi Ayob, when contacted, said police were looking for the suspect.

"We have yet to arrest the suspect, but we believe he is still in the Klang Valley," he said.

In the police report, Vijayaletchmy said she did not know why her boyfriend of four months resorted to violence and added that he was not drunk at the time.

The housewife also claimed that the suspect had never hit her children before and Wednesday's episode was the first time that he did so.

However, apart from the fresh injuries, there were also signs of old injuries on the toddlers' bodies, including burn marks which were healing.

It is believed Wednesday's incident was not the first time the suspect had abused the toddlers, whose father is serving time in Sungai Buloh Prison.

Nishalini and Harini are now warded at Tengku Ampuan Rahimah Hospital (HTAR) children's ward.

Nishalini's eyes are swollen shut, while her mouth is also swollen. Her younger sister, Harini, suffers a bruised left eye and some cuts to the mouth.

Also, the left arms of both sisters were fractured.

Meanwhile, Sri Muda assemblyman Shuhaimie Shafiei, who was at HTAR to visit the victims yesterday, said he had contacted the Klang Welfare Department and three officers had visited the victims on Friday.

"The officers informed me that they would be taking temporary care of the toddlers after they are discharged from the hospital," said Shuhaimie, who was alerted about the case by a concerned neighbour who heard the toddlers' cries.

Source: NST

No comments: